Sunday, June 8, 2008

To Have and To Hold: Faith Leaders for the Freedom to Marry

The junior rabbi at my synagogue is getting married at the end of the summer. This may not seem like a big deal at first, until you realize that my rabbi is a woman, and so is her fiance. The amazing fact that these two women are going to be recognized as spouses in my synagogue, and indeed, in all of the Conservative Jewish movement, makes me so grateful for everyone who has worked so hard to get us to this point and so proud of the path Conservative Judaism has taken. I know we have so much further to go--and that I will be at the polls come November voting to extend this right to all people--but let me just say that I am happy for how far we have come.
Read a Washington Post article on the decision to allow gay marriage in conservative Judaism here.

No comments: