Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Bed Musings

This post shall be filed under the "more random than anything else" category. Sorry for its complete unrelated-to-anything-blogworthy-ness.

I think it's interesting that in middle/high school I never did any homework on my bed, and now I practically live there. At home, I mostly worked in the kitchen/dining room, and hardly ever in my room at all, let alone on my bed. I used to tell people that I kept my homework separate from my bed because I had problems sleeping (that part is true) and I wanted to keep all work-related stuff out of the area where I was supposed to be calm (not sure if it really works that way, but it sounded good). Mostly, I think I just liked being in the kitchen, around my mom while she was cooking dinner, or at the table with my brother or sister, or on the couch curled up with my dogs. I liked seeing my dad first thing when he came home from work. I liked feeling connected, like I was in the middle of it all (as far as 'it' was my home), and like I wouldn't miss anything. My bed, and my room, just felt too far away from the warmth and life of the kitchen.

Now, I practically live in my bed. Part of this has to do with the fact that I have upgraded from the small twin I had at home to the dorm-issue twin extra-long I had freshman year to the big, fabulous, beautiful double bed that I have now. I love it. I do all of my work here, all of my random internet browsing and movie watching and e-mailing and reading, everything. I haven't used my desk as anything other than storage space in months. I have a small couch and a chair in my room that I'll occasionally use, but mostly they are just for my friends/sponsees. I love this bed so much that I'm planning on squeezing it into my bound-to-be-much-smaller dorm room next year. I swear, I will get rid of every stick of furniture in that room if I have to, as long as I can keep my bed.

I don't know what exactly promoted this change (or why I devoted an entire blog post to it!) but I know that I will really miss this bed over the summer. But, come fall, it will be back at school and so will I. Until then, I shall remain faithful to my steadfast little twin at home, which has been so good to me for so many years. :-)

2 comments:

Juli said...

Awwww! I love your post!

Dad said...

I love it too. And I always suspected that you worked in the kitchen to be with people around you. I'm glad you confirmed it.