Sunday, March 14, 2010

A few days ago...

Ok, so I FREAKING LOVED Edinburgh. Absolutely amazing city. Now, I'm in Dublin, which is honestly a bit of a let down from Edinburgh, but c'est la vie. But, I need to back up a little bit....here's what I wrote on the train on the way to Scotland, seemingly a good place to start:
__

After hauling ass to the train station because I was sure I was going to be late (there was a slight mishap involving an open water bottle, a backpack, and a laptop…don’t worry, all parties eventually emerged unharmed), I managed to get there just in time and get my butt on that train. Switched trains in Ely, and then again in Petersburgh, and now I’m happily sitting on the train to Edinburgh. However, I managed to pick a seat whose view is mostly obstructed by an entirely unnecessary piece of plastic, so I’m craning my head out of someone else's window to get a load of this awesome scenery. And, it really is awesome. The sun just came out a moment ago, so now its all green and golden fields, cute little farmhouses and towns were the biggest building is either the church or the pub, blue skies, and puffy white clouds. The whole areas is pretty much a lowlands as well, so there are lots of little fens and rivers and whatnot along the side of the tracks. But, most importantly, there are horses wearing, well, horse pajamas I guess (to keep them warm in the winter) and there are sheep and sheepdogs, and that just makes my day.

___

I’ve just spent the past two hours reading thebloggess There were at least two points in which I was laughing so hard (silently, so as not to completely freak out the other passengers) that I was in tears. Which probably lead to me freaking out the other passengers even more, because there I am shaking and crying in the corner, but don’t worry, I’m actually just laughing. Anyway. She’s hilarious. Thanks to my sister for the link.

___

This train has outlets for your computer. Win!

___

We have gone through Newcastle. Joke about coals.

___

We just started going by the coast, which was so beautiful! By the time I got smart enough to grab my camera, however, we’d turned inland again. Boo. Hopefully we’ll turn back out one more time, because the glimpses I got of those cliffs and the sea were definitely picture-worthy. Its getting more hilly here, and there are sheep all over the hills. This is exactly why I took the train. I’m loving this.

___


So, Edinburgh rocked. But I will save the post about what I did there for another day, because hopefully my random train musings are enough for now...

As of now, I'm in Dublin, which, like I said, is...meh. I think I would like it loads better if I were with other people, as it is a very "sit in a pub with a friend" kind of a city. Alas, this is one stop on my trip during which I am alone. Today I walked through St. Stephens Green park, which was very nice, and it was sunny out, so I sat there a while and just soaked it up. Then I wandered about the city, around Temple Bar and little back alleys, finding lots of cute stores to window shop in, followed by a crepe and some coffee. Oh, and lunch in there somewhere too! I tried to go into Christ Church cathedral, but alas I got there just as it closed for the day. I am quite tired because I woke up at 6:30 this morning to get to the airport, etc., so now I'm just chilling in the hostel. Will go out for dinner later. Until then!

1 comment:

Bee said...

Loved your train commentary, and can't wait to hear about Edinborough since it was one of my favorite places (even though all the shops were closed on Sunday and all I did was tour the castle -- but the charm was still oozing out of the wonderful city). xoxo