Sunday, January 17, 2010

Another day, another walk...

Today, I decided to keep wandering around Cambridge in an attempt to connect the dots of the city, and by dots I mean streets/where the heck I am. They don't have street signs! I mean it, like at intersections, nothing hanging over the streets by the stoplights, nothing on poles in the sidewalks...every once in a while, if you look really hard, you'll see a sign sort of buried in some bushes or embedded in the side of the building, but there seems to be absolutely no rhyme or reason to it. I have no idea how these people know where they are, short of sheer memory.

So, I walked all around a very commercial part of town, and got my bearings, and poked into many a cute shop. I bought notebooks, which I needed, and stopped myself from buying numerous other cute things...

I saw two adorable pugs, which was absolutely great. I spotted them in the open-air market and actually changed my path to follow them for a little bit, simply because they made me so damn happy. They were a little big smaller than my two pugs, but just as lively and adorable. Those little wrinkly faces just brightened my day.

Everyone here smokes! Well, not everyone, but way more people than at home, it seems, and enough to make it feel like it's everyone. And they just smoke while they're walking down the street...very strange.

The sky is blue today! Sweet, glorious blue! I will never under-appreciate the sun every again. :) And, it is the warmest it's been yet, 46 degrees, which means I wore a jacket that wasn't my coat for the first time since getting here. Yay!

1 comment:

Jadagul said...

Almost every intersection has a street name sign on one of the buildings. Sometimes you just have to look really, really hard. On the other hand, I did walk around carrying a map for like the first month I was there.