Sunday, January 10, 2010

My room is unseasonably hot, thanks to its small size and voracious heater. It's absolutely fabulous, except that it does mean I have to shed many many layers when I walk in. It's still a mess now from being half-unpacked, so I won't take pictures just yet, but they'll come soon enough.

I'm living at Emmanuel College, even though we're all enrolled at Jesus College, because they didn't have room for all of us at Jesus. The three other girls are also at Emmanuel, in my dorm, whose name I can't remember, and in my staircase, or section of the dorm, which is T Staircase. Emmanuel is beautiful, though I have yet to fully explore it, but from what I can tell, it's old, church-y, and very British! Emma, as they call it, is a short walk (10 minutes, perhaps?) from Jesus, and is right near a good shopping district with bars, restaurants, stores, etc. The college is really old and therefore really, really weird. It seems like most floors have a couple of "suites" on each one, though they're not like the suites at home where you draw in with friends, rather, I believe they just get placed randomly. Seems like there are mostly first-years around here, too. They pay a different rate depending on what size room they have, which is interesting, and they can essentially choose what level of room they'd like. Each suite in my staircase is 2-person, and a bit different from the others. They each have a little entryway (I guess its a small common room, but without furniture or anything), and then the two doors to the two singles off of that, and then something random that the other suites don't have...one suite has the bathtub, for example, while another has the showers, for the whole floor. Weird. The toilets are independent and at the end of the hall, which is, again, strange. My suite has a "gyp room" which is cabinets, a sink, a hot water heater, and a microwave, I think think it's supposed to be a kitchen of sorts...but it's definitely not close to a full kitchen.

That was a bit of a let-down because I really wanted to cook while I was here, but my friend (and fellow abroad student) Tanya and I figured out a remedy. This afternoon, we went out and bought a double hot plate and a toaster, along with various pots, pans, and utensils, and decided that we'd make the best kitchen we could, given the circumstances. We were fully planning on cooking in it today, but it turns out the grocery stores (along with almost everything else except the pubs and bars, it seems) close at 5:00 on Sundays. boo! So, it'll be out to dinner for us again, and then hopefully grocery shopping and cooking tomorrow! I want to stop burning through money for food by eating out all the time and also want to get to be a good cook, so luckily, that can be two birds with one stone.

More about meeting people, my college "parents," classes, and the town soon to come!

It's snowing outside. The novelty has definitely not yet worn off. :)

No comments: