Thursday, February 18, 2010

Olympics

Yes, it is 1:30 in the morning, but I am staying up late to watch the Olympic men's ice skating, because that's how I roll.

I realized recently that I'm never quite satisfied with ice skating, because, well, it's just not dance. I know the completely legitimate response to that is "well, duh, Lauren, they're different things" but they're close enough to warrant the comparison and this sport sometimes just leaves me feeling...disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I am beyond impressed with the jumps and spins, and I have no doubt that this sport takes incredible amounts of hard work and skill that I couldn't posses in a million years. But, for me, it leaves something to be desired in the artistry category. The skaters often seem to lack the musicality that contemporary and classical dancers emphasize so much....when the music is big, they're just gliding across the floor, when it's soft, they suddenly jump into the air! Not to mention they miss out on great moments for little--but still powerful--motions: a flick of the wrist, rolling the fingers, snapping the head... So, I hear this great music and just spend half the time choreographing contemporary dances in my head! (granted, I do that to most music...)

Yet, here I am up at 1:30 in the morning in order to watch this sport, so you can't say I don't enjoy it!

3 comments:

Juli said...

I totally agree; the choreography leaves a LOT to be desired. It is a mystery to me why nobody has picked up on this music-movement misalignment and tried to create better routines. These guys need to watch "So You Think You Can Dance" and any great ballet or modern dance piece. Can you imagine how wonderful their routines would be after an intensive study of Balanchine, Alvin Ailey, and the crazy chick with the funny hair on SYTYCD?

Bee said...

I agree, and thats why I LOVE the pairs ice DANCING - now, THAT's creative! (Who can forget the British pair who broke the mold many years back with their absolutely enthralling interpretative ice dancing to "Bolero".) Lauren, I love picturing you settled into your cozy abode with a cold beer, simmering soup and chocolate awaiting while you watch the olympics. xoxo

Charlene said...

xoxo